Thursday 3 October 2013

What is the difference...

What is the difference between being smart and being educated?
I googled the definitions of both:
ed·u·cat·ed  (http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ebreve.gifjhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-khttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gifthttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifd)
adj.
1. Having an education, especially one above the average.
2.
a. Showing evidence of schooling, training, or experience.
b. Having or exhibiting cultivation; cultured: an educated manner.
3. Based on a certain amount of experience or factual knowledge: an educated guess.
smart  (smärt)
adj. smart·ersmart·est
1.
a. Characterized by sharp quick thought; bright. See Synonyms at intelligent.
b. Amusingly clever; witty: a smart quip; a lively, smart conversation.
c. Impertinent; insolent: That's enough of your smart talk.
2. Energetic or quick in movement: a smart pace.
3. Canny and shrewd in dealings with others: a smart negotiator.
4. Fashionable; elegant: a smart suit; a smart restaurant; the smart set. See Synonyms at fashionable.
5.
a. Capable of making adjustments that resemble human decisions, especially in response to changing circumstances: smart missiles.
b. Manufactured to regulate the amount of light transmitted in response to varying light conditions or to an electronic sensor or control unit: smart windows.
6. New England & Southern U.S. Accomplished; talented: He's a right smart ball player.
Regional Note: Smart is a word that has diverged considerably from its original meaning of "stinging, sharp," as ina smart blow. The standard meaning of "clever, intelligent," probably picks up on the original semantic element of vigor or quick movement. Smart has taken on other senses as a regionalism. In New England and in the Southsmart can mean "accomplished, talented." The phrase right smart can even be used as a noun meaning "a considerable number or amount": "We have read right smart of that book" (Catherine C. Hopley).

I have on numerous occasions been told that I wasn’t “smart”, but that I was “educated”. I am not sure if the people who said this were trying to give me a complement or not, but in every situation where this happened, I felt like they were telling me that I was stupid and a simple minded person who somehow managed to go to school and was somehow able get a degree. That I can be trained to retain information, but am unable to be intelligent or to be as the definition says, quick of thought or witty.

I know I should not let this get to me, but it hurts when it is someone who should be supporting me and celebrate my achievements, but instead is telling me I am a dimwitted simpleton who can regurgitate facts. 

I beg to differ, and while also trying not to sound like a pompous ass, I would like to argue that I am indeed smart and witty and clever and able to make educated decisions on a moment’s notice. I am able to adapt to almost any situation people throw at me. Yes I have worked very hard on my education, and my career to get me where I am today. I have learned from my mistakes, and I get alone with almost everyone I meet. 

I really want to know what their definition of “smart” is, and how I don’t resemble it.  Was it supposed to be constructive criticism? Were they trying to tell me that I need to be more quick-witted?
This really infuriates me, and caused me to have doubts about myself and to start second guessing everything. 
What do I have to DO to prove to you I can be both Educated and Smart? But really why do I have to prove anything?????? Why are you judging me? Who made you the authority on who is smart and who is not?
I know I should be yelling these questions at the people behind this rant, but I am SMART enough to realize that I would be causing them pain and suffering and I am just not that kind of person. So I will rage at the world through the internet, and try to be content with the knowledge that they are incorrect in their evaluation of my intellect. Oh and fact that I Awesome! My mom told me so ..... J

No comments: